a  s  

Aqua Air Enterprises - Overseas Shipping of Automobiles


Overseas shipping of cars, motorcycles and ATVs, are either in containers or in Roll on-Roll off vessels (RO/RO vessels). RO/RO vessels are specialized vessels that are constructed to carry oversized cargo - cargo that wouldn’t otherwise fit into regular containers. Imagine RO/RO vessels as huge floating parking platforms.

The cost of ocean freight is either per vehicle shipped in containers, or per commodity description (type of vehicle) and its size and weight. When shipping by RO/RO vessels, we count volume in m3 and determine the rate.

Any motor vehicle defined as self-propelled such as an automobile, truck, tractor, bus, motorcycle, ATV, motor home, requires an original certificate of title, or for new vehicles, a Manufacturer’s Statement of Origin (MSO).

Other self-propelled vehicles such as agricultural machinery, self-propelled construction equipment, or any other self-propelled vehicle used or designed to run on land but not on rail, requires the original Bill of Sale which clearly shows the year, make & model, and the vehicle’s Serial Number or VIN (Vehicle’s Identification Number). The Provided Bill of Sale has to show that vehicle has been paid in full, and has to be notarized by a Notary. 

The original of the above mentioned document must be presented to U.S. Customs at the port of departure at least 72 hours before departure. US Customs is the ultimate authority; they need to verify the documents and approve export prior to shipment. Once the documents have been verified, they will be returned to the freight forwarder.

image2 The basic rule applying to vehicles requires the gas tank to be almost empty (not more than 1⁄4 of tank), and battery (batteries) terminals to be disconnected. We arrange for professional packers to load the vehicle into the container. You can have your personal belongings shipped in your vehicle only if the car is shipped in the container.
If you prefer to load a container and vehicle inside by yourself, please contact us so we can send you instructions on how to load.
In case that you have Aqua Air load your machine at one of our warehouse facilities in a container or to ship by Ro-Ro vessel, you should deliver your cargo to the particular warehouse or loading port terminal. If you cannot arrange such a delivery, we can organize p/u and bring your vehicle to the loading place. We can organize pick up from any point in United States and transfer to our designated warehouse.

shutterstock 21845734 At the destination port you will need to hire a local customs brokerage company to make a customs clearance, and any other necessary paperwork at the destination in order to p/u your cargo. We can recommend our agents overseas, but if you decide to hire someone else, you are more than welcome.
Aqua Air Enterprises’ cargo liability insurance is $500 per vehicle, therefore we strongly recommend requesting additional insurance. The cost is 1.5% of the value (including ocean freight cost); the deductible is $500.

The following documents are needed:

  • original title or MSO/MCO
  • Bill of Sale (letter of Lien Release from financial institution, if vehicle bought on a loan)
  • Automobile Shipping Info Sheet
  • Export Power of Attorney
  • Insurance Form

image image5